Matthew J. Kushin, Ph.D. – Matt for short – is an associate professor in the Department of Communication at Shepherd University and a senior fellow in the Bonnie & Bill Stubblefield Institute for Civil Political Communication.
He’s an award-winning educator and scholar.
He’s a professor, author, and blogger who specializes in helping social media educators Teach Confident in today’s digital landscape. He help them build engaging classes that prepare students for careers as professional communicators today.
He’s taught university-level social media classes for over a decade, is the author of the book Teach Social Media: A Plan for Creating a Course Your Students Will Love, and writes Social Media Syllabus, a popular blog and resource tool for social media educators.
He is the concentration coordinator of the Strategic Communication concentration in the department. Classes he teaches or has taught include: Social Media, Politics & Social Media, Principles of PR, Strategic Campaigns, Persuasion & Message Design, Communication Theories, Communication Research Methods, Applied Communication Research, Communication & New Media, Writing Across Platforms, Introduction to Mass Communication, Public Speaking, New Communication Technology.
Dr. Kushin’s research focuses on social media, politics, and civic life. He has presented to audiences internationally on the subject via the United States State Department.
Before joining Shepherd University in the fall of 2012, he was an assistant professor at Utah Valley University.
Dr. Kushin is the former Director of ICBO One Global Digital Strategy for the partner organizations of the International Congress of Behavioral Optometry where he helped plan, secure sponsorship for, and launch the ICBO One social mobile app for the global behavioral optometry community. In this role he planned and executed the app strategy for partner events throughout the world.
In the evenings and weekends – Matt is:
- On an adventure
- Bergamasco Owner: Scout on Instagram! Scout is a Bergamasco. Learn more – my blog post on Scout.
- Cooking favorites (lots of Mexican dishes, soups and chilis, BBQ) or trying new recipes.
- Known to enjoy hiking, cycling, mountain biking, sight-seeing, and is sometimes known to travel.
- Reading 20th century fiction: F. Scott Fitzgerald over Hemingway any day of the week.
- Writing Short Stories: Yes, it’s true!
- Still wishing he was in good enough shape to play lacrosse! Realizes he’s not. So he watches it on TV instead.
- Listening to Podcasts: Favs include: HiddenBrain – Explores how social science applies to everyday life; Freakonomics – Explores how economics applies to everyday life, challenging many of our assumptions; Revisionist History – The always thought-provoking Malcolm Gladwell goes podcasting; Startup Podcast – The stories of startup businesses and the challenges they face.
- Watching Netflix (a few favs: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Peaky Blinders, Making a Murderer, Narcos, Halt and Catch Fire), college football (Go Hokies, Hurricanes, and the Cougs!), college lacrosse, and the Redskins.